Honeyville Fire Causes Major Damage
By Ellen Cook, Leader Correspondent
Honeyville’s volunteer firefighters responded to a structure fire Saturday night at the Von Ritchie residence.
The call of a vehicle fire came at 6800 North Hwy 38 came in about 7 p.m., according to station chief Jordon Andersen. Upon arrival, firemen found an antique Hudson auto fully engulfed inside a large shop. The building also housed another car and several motorcycles, as well as a paint booth and numerous paint containers.
Eleven local firemen and a support crew from Brigham City battled the blaze for over three hours but were unable to save the structure. The burning roof eventually collapsed, adding a potential risk to those fighting the fire. Exploding paint cans made the situation hazardous as well.
A state fire investigator determined the blaze started from sparks that had been smoldering inside the Hudson for several hours. Andersen said the property owner had been doing some grinding on the car frame earlier in the afternoon. It was later that evening when he noticed the smoke coming from the shop and reported the fire.
While the building was declared a total loss, Honeyville and Brigham City crews saved several other vehicles parked next to the shop’s exterior, Anderson said. Firefighters were also able to protect a propane tank located near the shed. The Ritchie home was never threatened, as it was far enough away from the fire’s core.
Highway 38 was closed to through traffic for nearly two and half hours as firemen battled the blaze.