The Garland Tabernacle building for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has through the years undergone renovations and upgrades as well as housed thousands upon thousands of faithful Latter-day Saints.
Built in 1914, the tabernacle cost just $55,000 and seated 1,200 people. It took just over one year to construct. It was dedicated on Dec. 13, 1914, by Joseph F. Smith, President of the Church. According to Barbara Wood Buchanan’s book “Reflections of Garland,” “S.Y. Shibata of Garland made one of the largest donations to the building of the tabernacle. His only stipulation being that he would like to have his funeral held there. It was.”
Twelve men were appointed to see about building a new tabernacle in Garland. They needed a more convenient way to house wards in the newly created Bear River Stake. The chairman of the committee was Willard S. Hansen with Peter M. Hansen as treasurer and Joseph Jensen as secretary. The remaining men, Milton H. Welling, Arthur R. Capener, Moroni Ward, R.A. Johnson, Oluf Johnson, D.E. Adams, J.C. Wheelon and J.H. Welling comprised of the rest of the committee.
One of the most remarkable parts of the tabernacle is the pipe organ. The organ cost $10,000 to install and was done by the Austin Organ Company from Connecticut. The organ was installed in April 1929.
Read more on the history of this beautiful building in this week’s Leader