Powered by Max Banner Ads

McKinley Principal Steve Chadaz fights for his life

A beloved principal at McKinley Elementary School is clinging to life in Ogden after a sudden medical condition.

Steve Chadaz suffered a ruptured aorta early Tuesday morning. He began experiencing chest pains after doing some light chores around his Tremonton home, according to a family member.

“It is not hereditary. It was a 1 in 10,000 that that happens, just stupid luck,” said brother-in-law Joel Ramsdell.

Chadaz was taken by his wife, Susan, to Bear River Valley hospital for a checkup for about 6 hours. He was then transported to Ogden Regional that afternoon where the aorta tear was discovered. He was immediately taken in for surgery to repair the tear.

“During the surgery it appears he had several strokes, which affected the back side of his brain. There has been no change since surgery yesterday,” said Ramsdell. “(Doctors are) giving him steroids that they hope will shrink the swelling in his brain.”

Ramsdell said it doesn’t look like there will be any miracles and family members are rushing to be by his side.

The school’s PTA has set up a memorial at the front doors of McKinley Elementary where you can sign a card that they will present to the family. Community members have been asked to join in offering prayers for McKinley’s beloved principal.

(We will update readers as more news becomes available.)

55 comments for “McKinley Principal Steve Chadaz fights for his life

1. Diann Sessions
    July 3, 2014 at 9:12 am

Susan and family I send my love and prayers.

2. Amy Peedle
    July 3, 2014 at 9:17 am

So sorry to hear about this.. We are praying for them all. ((Hugs))

3. Nikki
    July 3, 2014 at 9:21 am

Mrs. Chadaz, I am so sorry!! Your family is in my prayers!

4. Jennifer
    July 3, 2014 at 9:43 am

Mr. Chadaz is the perfect example of pure love for everyone around, especially for our kids! We are praying for a miracle at this time for his family.. If anyone deserves one, he does.. Our prayers are with his family and loved ones..

5. Shari Cutler
    July 3, 2014 at 9:47 am

My heart just broke as I heard of this news! He is a great man and one that has personally touched the hearts of so many of my kids that have been in my home! He as a love and strength that he can help so many! Love and prayers for the family and for Steve!

6. Traci
    July 3, 2014 at 9:57 am

I am so sad to hear this Mr. Chadaz is an amazing person and has help my son at McKinley adjust after moving to the area. My family is praying that he can make a full recovery!!! Prayers coming from my family to his!!

7. marilynn
    July 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

I am speechless. Mr. Chadaz is an amazing principal and an outstanding human being. I am a better teacher because of him. The Chadaz family is in our prayers.

8. jami hobbs
    July 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

Our prayers go out to you & your family.

9. The Kelly & Carolee Barrett fam.
    July 3, 2014 at 10:23 am

Lots of love and prays are being sent to you and you’re family! Steve has been such a great man and such a wonderful example in our lives as a Bishop, and fellow Tremonton friend! Thank you for raising such great kids that has also influenced our family.
    Lots of Love to all of you!

10. Pat
    July 3, 2014 at 10:33 am

Our love and are with you and your family. You and your family have been such a blessing in our lives.

11. Teresa Thompson
    July 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

Susan and Steve, may healing, love, peace and all that is good surround you and all that are with you during this hard time! Much love to such beautiful and truly good people!

12. Lane & Stephanie Petersen
    July 3, 2014 at 10:44 am

Steve has touched many, many lives for good, including ours. We are praying for him and his family.

13. Amy
    July 3, 2014 at 11:28 am

What a great man he is. My children just love and adore him. He is truly a remarkable man and a great example of Christ-like love. Our prayers are with him and his family at this time. May the Lord sustain and comfort you and your family through this trying time.

14. sareena
    July 3, 2014 at 11:28 am

I am heart broken Steve I have looked up to you since you because our Principal and Friend. No other person will measure up to you. You are our children’s voice when others have given up. You are the Rock of our school. You have always been there with door wide open to hear complaints or just to comfort me when I had an issue. I will FOREVER admire you! I pray for that Miracle over and over again. I pray for your family during this hard time. May God lift you all up and comfort you.

15. Tom and Donni Pedersen Family
    July 3, 2014 at 11:40 am

Our hearts just broke when we heard this tragic news. I’ve known Steve most of my life. He has touched so many lives for good; truly a disciple for God. Thoughts and prayers for him and his sweet family. My Ally sends hugs to Susan, one of her favorite teachers. Praying for a miracle, The Pedersen Family

16. Shauni
    July 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

This is so sad, he is such a great principal! My girls have all loved him so much. He is truly a wonderful man. We love you, Steve, keep fighting! You and your family are all in our prayers.

17. Emily Campbell
    July 3, 2014 at 11:54 am

Our hearts go out to you and your family. Such a great man, leader, principal,and friend. We are praying for you.

18. Richard &Beeper Marble
    July 3, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. One of the sweetest gentleman I have ever known.We wish him well.

19. Ramona Pearson
    July 3, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Dear Steve and Susan and Family – Our hearts hurt with this news. Please know how much your are loved and that many prayers are being said in your behalf. Hugs to all. Paul and Ramona Pearson

20. Debbie Brantner
    July 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Love and prayers to the whole family and especially to him great man and friend

21. Amber Kai and Kaleb
    July 3, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear this!!! Mr. Chadez is one the of the best Principals that my boys have ever had! Our hearts go out to the family and Lots and Lots of prayers are being said for him to pull though.

Kai and Kaleb says Please get better Mr. Chadez!!! We love you as our principal!!!!

22. Trevor Valdez
    July 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I am saddned to hear about Steve. I have worked with Steve when Carl and Dons was around. He’s a great principal and a dear friend. My prayers goes out to Steve and his family.

23. Kelly Esparza
    July 3, 2014 at 1:04 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Steve and his family. He is a wonderful person, and this news is so sad.

24. The Mellon Family
    July 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm

We are deeply saddened to hear about this!!! Principal Chadaz always makes everyone feel welcome at McKinley! He is an amazing man and I truly hope for a miracle at this time!!! Prayers being sent your way for Steve and his family!!!

25. The Roberts
    July 3, 2014 at 1:35 pm

We are so very Grateful for Principal Steve Chadaz and his amazing work at McKinley – What a wonderful man! Even though we have been gone for three years – we are so grateful for his influence, the way he remembered us and made us feel valued, the straight up way he dealt with challenges and the way he led by positive example. We pray for him and his family at this difficult time and hope they feel peace and satisfaction over the tremendous affect he has had on so many of us in this county and recognize that hundreds of us are praying for you and wishing you only the best.

26. Chris & Melissa Snyder
    July 3, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Steve has been the best principal McKinley has had!! My children love him!! He has been a great friend to me and is always concerned about everyone! Our thoughts and prayers will be going your way!!

27. Rhonda and Tim Hunter and Family
    July 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Or prayers are worth your family. We dearly loved Bp and pray from the best for you all.

28. Amanda
    July 3, 2014 at 1:52 pm

We’re praying for him and his family.

29. Crystal Hernandez
    July 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm

My heart goes out to Mrs. Chadaz and family. This is so very sad! Sending prayers your way!

30. Joel and Rebecca Burnham and family
    July 3, 2014 at 3:24 pm

We have lived all over the country and we have to say Mr. Chadaz is the BEST principle our family has ever known. Our prayers and love go out to the Chadaz family.

31. Doug and Kristin Walker
    July 3, 2014 at 3:38 pm

It’s hard to find more sincere and authentic people than Steve and Susan Chadaz both. Our hearts ache for you at this time. You will continue to be in our prayers!

32. Todd and Patty Grover
    July 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm

We are so sorry, your family will continue to be in our prayers, what a great man and leader…..

33. Chrys Deatry
    July 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm

You are a wonderful person with a wonderful family. You are all in our prayers. May God be with you.

34. Jessica Fiveash
    July 3, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I have heard nothing but great things about him from everyone who knows him. I just met Steve towards the end of the school year this year. Such a wonderful countenance. He and the whole family are in our prayers.

35. mark and Kim Anderson
    July 3, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Love and prayers for Bishop Chadaz and his family. He was Bishop when we moved to Tremonton, he was kind and welcoming. Praying for that miracle.

36. erika phikkips
    July 3, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Mrs. Chadaz, i am praying for you and your husband who were my role models in elementary school and intermediate. Get will soon, we love you! Best wishes

37. Beth and Perry Stamey
    July 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Was so shocked to hear about this! Our prayers are with you at this time!

38. Brookly,bishop
    July 3, 2014 at 7:21 pm

He was my favorite principal mr. Chadaz and his family will be in my prayers

39. Jason & Holly Munns
    July 3, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Mr.Chadaz, you are such an amazing person!!! You have helped my family in ways you will never know. Thank you so much!!! Praying for you and you family!!!

40. Matt and Shantel Cole
    July 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Susan and Family,

Bishop Chadaz is a great man. Praying for a miracle.

Shantel (Norman) Cole and Family

41. Davis Family
    July 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Your family was so kind to us when we moved to town. We think the world of you both and are praying for your family.

42. Kathy Fuhriman
    July 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Steve has always been such a genuine person and well liked by everyone. Sincere thoughts and prayers for his recovery. This person sure deserves a miracle.

43. Jonathan & Loni Grover
    July 3, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Our prayers are with you guys during this difficult time.

44. Laurel
    July 3, 2014 at 9:37 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Steve and Susan and their family and especially the doctors and caregivers. Hang tuff my friend! Miracles happen!!!

45. Ramon & Amie Ortega and girls
    July 3, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Mr. Chadaz, We are sending our love and prayers to you and your family In This time of need, May the lord comfort your wife as and children to give them the strength that they may need to help get you and them threw this terrible tragity in your life. You have made such and impression on many parents, students, faculty, as well as others in the community. With an open door for when.parents or students have had question or concern. We pray for your recovery. MAY YOU GET WELL SOON! MUCH LOVE BRESSA, ALEXIS &,VANESSA ORTEGA and parents. These 3 daughters of mine think the world of you.

46. Michelle, Bret & Julia
    July 3, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Words can’t express our love for you and Susan. You will be in our prayers and thoughts.

47. Diana
    July 3, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Sending up prayers. He is such a great friend to many, many people throughout all of Box Elder County. He holds a special place in my heart. Love and prayers coming your way Chadaz family.

48. Jesse Esquivel
    July 3, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Susan, Tanner, and all of you wonderful people our thoughts and prayers are with you. May God hear are prayers to help Steve and each of you.

49. Sherece
    July 3, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I’ve know Mr. Chadaz for 13+ years. He is an amazing man. Best of all he remembered me when I signed my son up for school. My son has only known him for his time in kindergarten and has grown to like him a lot and when he heard Mr. Chadaz was “sick” he got really sad. It’s heartbreaking to know someone who has done a lot for so many people for so many years and has touched hearts of those who know him, to be going through something so devastating. My thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

50. Hepplers
    July 3, 2014 at 11:17 pm

So sorry to hear the news sbout Steve.He is a great man and loves those kids he comes in contact .Our prayers are with you and your family. The Hepplers