Hazardous Material in Tremonton Apartment
Today, March 20, Tremonton firefighters, police and ambulance, along with Utah State University bomb squad, have been removing hazardous items from a Tremonton apartment near 125 East Main Street. According to Tremonton police chief Dave Nance, the 40-year-old man who lived there moved in, in 2010 and then was recently evicted. When the landlord went to clean the apartment he discovered hazardous items and contacted police.
The other residents in the apartments were not home and the landlord made them aware of the situation and police evacuated those in the businesses east of the apartments. Also helping in the situation was the health department, Hazmat, the DEA and strike task force. After the bomb squad determined the area was cleared they allowed Hazmat to go in and remove the items. Inside were precursors for meth production.
Nance said, “There was a hot plate commonly used to cook meth but not at a high volume more of a self-production.” There was also a respirator, tyvec suit (like those used by Hazmat). He added, “A lot of things that most people don’t have in their place of residence.” Authorities also found muratic acid, iodine, a big container of nitric acid and several other hazardous materials. Crews spent most of the day investigating and the items were removed just after 6 p.m.
Police would like to discuss the situations with him before his name is released but there are potential charges. Police have not been able to contact him but he has had run-ins with police in the past. The other apartments, which have their own HVAC system, were tested and appear to be in good shape.