Perry boys treated for flash burns
Five young school boys from Perry are recovering from first, second and third burns they received Thursday afternoon after deliberately setting a container of gasoline on fire.
Perry mayor Jerry Nelson said the boys, ranging in age from 7 to 10, were on their way home from school about 2:30 p.m., when they trespassed on a neighbors’ property and found several gasoline containers near an ATV. The boys deliberately lit some of the gasoline, which then back-flashed, setting some of the boys’ clothing on fire.
One of the victims had a lighter, Nelson said, but police are not saying if it was the source of the fire.
Nelson said the fire department responded to a 911 call from neighbors, and arrived on scene to find those same neighbors putting out burning clothing and calming down some of the boys. Two of the victims had already run home, but first responders visited those boys to assess their injuries.
Two of the more seriously injured boys were transported by Life Flight to the University of Utah Burn Center, and two others were taken by private vehicle to the hospital. The boys suffered burns on their feet hands and face, and the severity of those burns was determined by how close they were to the flash. One boy who was away from the blast suffered only “sunburn like burns,” Nelson said.