A Willard man suffered first and third degree burns over 40 percent of his body in a fire that occurred Saturday morning inside a shop near his home.
Willard Fire Chief Van Mund said the 24-year-old man, whose name is not being released, told responding officers he was smoking in the shop while filling a riding lawnmower with gasoline when the fire erupted.
Willard and Brigham City fire units were dispatched, as was a Brigham City ambulance and Willard and Perry police officers and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper. The victim was transported to Brigham City Community Hospital where a Life Flight helicopter transferred him to the burn unit at University of Utah Hospital.
Mund said the estimated loss is $80,000 to $90,000, including the shop and a number of vehicles housed there.