Powered by Max Banner Ads 

Hansen Farms

A History of Hard Work

Leader/Ellen Cook
Five generations of Hansens have worked the family farm east of Tremonton.  Three are currently part of the operation, from left, Jeremy Hansen, A.L. Hansen and Ricky Hansen.  The first generation to work the ground was John T. Hansen, who built this sheep shed, using bricks he fashioned by hand.  The long timber at the pitch of the roof was brought down from the Deweyville mountains by that first owner.


Ellen Cook
Leader Editor

    Agriculture is a big part of Box Elder County.  We rank first in Utah in the number of beef cattle, and have an inventory of 10,000 dairy cows and 35,600 sheep.  We are number one in the state in grain production and near the top in barley, silage and alfalfa.  Such production has been going on for over a century, with farms and ranches being passed down from generation to generation.  In this series, the Leader will be spotlighting some of those 100-year-old family farms – their struggles and their successes.

Ricky Hansen said being a farmer has brought many blessings over the years and he can’t imagine a better way to raise a family.
His son, Jeremy, feels the same way. “It’s in my blood,” said this fifth generation farmer.
The Hansen name first found its way onto the property east of Tremonton when John T. Hansen purchased 80 acres of sagebrush from the railroad in 1902.  Although the place was dry at the time, John knew the local sugar factory was planning to put in a system to bring water to the area and that water would help him raise the corn, wheat and hay he wanted to produce.
John, who was born in 1868, the son of hard-working Danish pioneers, built a home on the property in 1920.  He added a brick “sheep shed” about the same time, fashioning each of the bricks by hand.  The building is still standing on the Hansen farm and features a massive timber beam John cut in the mountains above Deweyville and hauled to the farm to support the shed’s roof.
John also owned acreage in Almo, Idaho, near what is now the City of Rocks, and he and his sons divided their time between the two properties.  When John passed away in 1948, he left the local farm ground to his youngest son, Lee.

(For the rest of the story pick up a copy of the paper at the Leader or call 435-257-5182 to subscribe.)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *